Haberfield Public School

Telephone02 9798 8767



Our school can help with enrolment queries throughout the year.

Enrolment General Information


Enrolment in school

A student is entitled to enrol at the local school that the student is eligible to attend if their home is within that school’s local intake area. Parents may apply to enrol their child in the school of their choice. Acceptance is subject to the child being eligible to attend and the school can accommodate the child.

Enrolment cap

An enrolment cap for a school is established centrally, based on available permanent accommodation.

Demountable classrooms are not usually counted towards the enrolment cap.

Local Enrolment buffer

Within the enrolment cap, a number of enrolment places (the buffer) must be set aside for the enrolment of local students arriving throughout the year.

The size of the buffer will differ in each school based on historical data, enrolment fluctuations and on the number of families moving into or out of the area.

The size of the local enrolment buffer is set locally by the Principal and approved by the Director, Educational Leadership. It is reviewed annually and set in time for assessing applications for the following year’s enrolment intake.

Places in the local enrolment buffer are not to be offered to non-local students.

Local enrolment area

Most schools have designated local enrolment areas. The School Finder shows our local enrolment area. Note: local enrolment areas are subject to change.

How to enrol 

Contact us when you’re ready to enrol your child in our school. You may need to attend an interview with the principal. There you can discuss any medical conditions or other special circumstances before your child starts school. We may also complete a risk assessment on the enrolment.

For more information, visit primary school enrolment.

The application form must be completed in English. However, a translated application to enrol may help you to fill out the form in English.

Out-of-area enrolments

As outlined in the department’s enrolment policy, our school may accept enrolments from outside our local enrolment area if places are available.

We will assess applications for non-local enrolment on a case-by-case basis.

Temporary visas and international students

For information about eligibility and forms to complete, visit the Temporary Residents Program.

Distance education

Distance education is an equity program for students who are geographically isolated or whose individual circumstances prevent them from regularly attending school. Students must meet one of the conditions in the Distance Education Enrolment Procedures to be eligible to access this program as a full-time student.

For more information about educational opportunities in rural areas, visit Rural and distance education.

Moving overseas

Moving overseas and need school reports authenticated for DFAT? 

Email document.authentication@det.nsw.edu.au to arrange to bring original documents to 105 Phillip Street, Parramatta 2150.

To learn more about enrolment you are most welcome to contact our office via phone on 02 9798 8767 or by emailing haberfield-p.school@det.nsw.edu.au.